Filed under Sports, Student Life

Boys basketball turns the page on Turkey Day tourney

Coach Smith and team looking to rebound from learning experience

Tis’ the season for basketball players to “ball out”. Recently, the Rich Central boy’s varsity basketball team competed in the Riverside Brookfield Thanksgiving Tournament. The basketball tourney took place from Monday, November 25, until Saturday, November 30. The only off-day for the players was Turkey Day.

Head coach Bobby Smith, about his team’s performance in the tournament, said, “We are learning right now. It’s going pretty good. We always play in that really hard Thanksgiving tournament so we just have to learn from it. We came out 1-3, but we beat a good Riverside Brookfield team. I think we might be alright for our conference.”

Although the team didn’t win all of the games they still did their best, though Coach Smith pointed out some of the team’s top tournament performers.

According to Smith, “Marcus Smith, sophomore, made the All-Tournament Team. Arthur Sutton received ‘Honorable Mention.’”

“Arthur played well,” Smith continued, “because he came off the bench. He was able to open up some people’s eyes. Marcus is just a sophomore and he had a game where he scored 29 points. He was a little nervous but he did well.”

After speaking about his exceptional players the coach went on to say that the tournament “taught us about our roles. It let our players know that when they play against real good teams the players have to respect their roles on the team. Everybody’s role isn’t just scoring or rebounding. We need to come closer as a team.”

Marcus Smith, on his feelings about his performance in the tournament, said, “I think I did well enough. I think my team did well and we can do better. In our future games we are going to do better.”

Smith went on to add that, as a team, in order to improve they should “get some more practice and get more people to focus on the season. There needs to be better bonding.”

Now that the Thanksgiving tournament has passed, the first game of the official season is approaching. On December 6, the Rich Central Boys varsity basketball team competed against Bloom High School in the rival school’s gymnasium to begin the season.

When speaking about the upcoming game Smith responded, “I think if we all play hard we can win. But, it’s not really about winning or losing. We are just there to play hard and have fun.”